[review] The Gift / Cecelia Ahern

By faten.banana - August 16, 2019

I love battered books actually >,<
The Gift | Cecelia Ahern | August 2009 | 305 pages 

Synopsis:

Everyday Lou Suffern battled with the clock. He always had two places to be at the same time. He always had two things to do at once. When asleep he dreamed. In between dreams, he ran through the events of the day while making plans for the next. When at home with his wife and family, his mind was always someplace else.

As Christmas draws closer, Lou starts to understand the value of time. He sees what is truly important in life yet at the same time he learns the harshest lesson of all.

This is a story about people who not unlike parcels, hide secrets. They cover themselves in layers until the right person unwraps them and discovers what’s inside. Sometimes you have to be unravelled in order to find out who you really are. For Lou Suffern, that took time. (Source: Goodreads)


This is the book that cures my reader's block. I read The Gift half-way through before I changed to KAMPUS. Habit, sometimes I prefer reading one to two books in the same period of time interchangeably. I got this novel from my university library, along with another few novels from the leisure section.

Impression?
One of the reasons I chose Cecelia Ahern's novel is that because I know how magical her writings could be.
Even though I am not a big fan of Women's Literature (Chick-Lit sounds... a bit off btw) because I am more into myths-adventures-contemporaries kind of girl, Cecelia Ahern's made me love them.

The Gift is a novel that lays in the middle of contemporaries and melancholics drama. I still could not figure it out. Reading this novel made me feels like watching a movie. The 'breezy' word choices, good sentence structures, interlaced with a dramatic plot are making this novel weirdly easy to read. Even with one of the most cliche theme - time, she managed to wrap it beautifully.
Time can't be given. But it can be shared.” 
― Cecelia Ahern, The Gift
Should you read them?
Personally, yes - if you love a novel that centralizes around family relationship. This novel is about a man who is always there but not 'there'; strive for the best he did not have yet while letting go the best that he had. It is a mix of fantasy and family drama.

Lessons I've learnt from this novel?
  • Sometimes, we have to make choices that we did not like - and bear consequences from them.
  • Just because we are families, and we are tied by blood - it does not mean it cannot be broken.
  • For every chance that is given, make good use of it.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. did u change your blog template? or is it just me that hasn't been here for a long time.. i still remember the days when most of my friends were crazy reading Cecelia Ahern's book. I think I got a few and this might be added to the collection as well. Reading you review makes me wanna read it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe the last time I changed my template was two months ago XD Lucky you, I only knew about Cecelia Ahern when I was 18 lol

      Delete
    2. ok that tells me how long i've been away from your blog and actually my blog too. well, im glad i could visit you again. tbh im not really a fan of CA but i do love reading some of her books. what i read depends on the type and genre of the books. XD

      Delete
    3. We all have that period of time hahahahaha XD I am grateful that there are still people who read what I write lol.

      Delete
  2. I have this book in my collection for so long but still remain untouched.
    I need to give it a go asap before I totally forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is the time for you to read this :)

      Delete